Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Writers' Workshop

During Writers' Workshop we write in journals once a week.  We also read a story once a week that focuses on a particular trait used by good writers.  Right now we are focusing on the trait of ideas.  
We read All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachan.  In addition to coming up with interesting ideas to write about, the children are also working on listening for the first sound in each word and leaving spaces in between words.

Here are some of the places we love . . .

I love my bedroom.
I love Disneyworld.
I like my playground.                    
I love Hood's Pond.

Common Core Connections -
Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to narrate a single event or several loosely linked events, tell about the events in the order in which they occurred, and provide a reaction to what happened.

Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
  1. Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.
  2. Recognize and name end punctuation.
  3. Write a letter or letters for most consonant and short-vowel sounds (phonemes).
  4. Spell simple words phonetically, drawing on knowledge of sound-letter relationships



No comments:

Post a Comment